Code and data management with Git
This is the website for the course Code and data management with Git. This course consists of an introduction to working with the Git version control system for data analysis and is aimed primarily at researchers in the LUMC.
The Git system is widely used by software developers, but can also be used for project management. In the LUMC we use GitLab as a collaborative environment on top of Git. By keeping track of all versions, history, etc, GitLab makes your projects more reproducible and collaboration with colleagues easy (introduction).
Details for the next session:
- Date: TBA
- Time: TBA
- Location: TBA
- Registration via www.medgencentre.nl. Direct access to the registration form.
|09:00||Introduction||Mihai Lefter||Welcome, version control introduction|
|09:30||Git basics||Wibowo Arindrarto||Basic Git command line flow|
|11:00||The git commit graph||Mihai Lefter||Commit graph, branching, merging, and resolving merge conflicts.|
|13:30||Collaboration: remote repositories||Jonathan Vis||Sharing and collaborating via remotes|
We can also provide you with a laptop that has all the required software installed. The lessons are interactive, meaning that you really need a laptop.
- Code School - Try Git (you could even try this before the course)
- The entire Pro Git book on the official Git website
- Ry's Git Tutorial
- Git tutorials at Atlassian
- Learn Git Branching
- Git cheat sheet (useful for printing)
Past course dates
- November 22nd, 2017
- September 6th, 2017: Code and data management with Git
- October 14th, 2013: Git introduction course
- June 23rd, 2014: Git introduction course
- December 1st, 2015: Code and data management with Git
- April 25th, 2016: Code and data management with Git
For corresponding snapshots of this repository, see tags.
Using the course materials
There is one Git submodule on which this repository depends:
- presentation template for presentations in LaTeX.
First clone this repository, then fetch the data from the submodule:
git clone https://git.lumc.nl/humgen/gitcourse.git cd gitcourse git submodule init git submodule update
A new presentation can be added like this:
cd presentation bash mkpres.sh ../mypresentation